I am in love with coconut oil! Seriously, coconut oil is not a fad. It is an amazing tropical oil that provides HEALTHY fats into your diet and a great chemical-free way to moisturize your hair and skin! I use it in A LOT of my DIY’s for beauty products, recipes (or general cooking), and it tastes amazing! Just like everything else all coconut oil is not created equal, so make sure you are getting the good stuff by looking for 5 main things when buying coconut oil (this is my favorite):
Coconut Oil MUST be:
- Organic (Why? No pesticides or other toxins. Not to mention you are voting with your dollar, so choose organic when you can.)
- Cold-pressed (Why? Made by using low temperatures that will not change, deplete, or ruin the integrity of the oil.)
- Unrefined, Extra Virgin (Why? Not processed, so nutritional value of healthy fats remain in tact.)
- Non-GMO (Why? Controversial studies may lead people to believe GMO’s aren’t dangerous, but I would like my food to be as God intended. I support technology, but not in this case. GMO’s are NOT food. Please don’t eat them. They ruin your gut flora, which is at least 60% of your immune system!)
- One ingredient, it needs to should say “Coconut” and that is all. (Why? No fillers, additives, or preservatives.)
By making sure your coconut oil are these 5 things above, you will get the most benefits from it!
It is difficult to know where to start when talking about coconut oil because there are a million uses!
What makes Coconut Oil so AMAZING?
Coconut oil has the highest concentration of lauric acid on earth! So why do we care about that? Your body converts lauric acid into a monoglycerides that can literally destroy viruses like flu, measles, many others. There have even been studies done showing success against HIV! That is huge!
Also, coconut oil is made up of medium chained fatty acids, which allows it to enter cellular membranes. This enhances cell function. Your body is made up of tons and tons of cells and coconut oil can help your cells function optimally. Cells will be able to utilize oxygen and nutrients more efficiently, which means a healthier you!
Coconut Oil is the best oil for cooking. It stays stable at a temperature as high as 350 degrees F. People believe olive oil is good for cooking, but I do not recommend heating olive oil. Any type of smoking oil is rancid oil, purely toxic for your body. Instead, use coconut oil for cooking and leave olive oil for cold salads. Coconut Oil is so good on popcorn (instead of using butter) and, of course, some sea salt, it will make your heart skip a beat! Ok, that is a bad analogy because coconut oil actually promotes heart health! That’s right! No artery clogging here! Coconut Oil also supports immune health. My kids will just take a spoonful of coconut oil for a snack practically every day.
“Coconut oil should be used externally to promote skin health and internally for overall health!”
Coconut Oil for Beauty:
Use Coconut Oil as:
- Carrier oil for essential oils (you can add other healthy skin promoting oils like lavender, geranium, Melrose, Frankincense. Not a member of Young Living yet? Join here and give me the honor of being your sponsor!)
- Moisturizer (face and body)
- Body scrub (add sugar)
- Facial Exfoliator (add baking soda)
- Primer (lightly applied before foundation)
- Make-up remover replacement
- Conditioner replacement
- Shaving cream replacement
Coconut Oil for Health:
- Massage oil (I massage my kids’ backs and necks if they have a cold. This helps loosen up congestion and helps their glands to keep infection moving through their body. Also, if they have not been able to eat much, coconut oil is absorbed through their skin to help with energy levels to keep them healing. I like to use a couple drops of Young Living R.C. oil or Thieves oil when they have a cold. These oils are awesome for cutting colds short!)
- Promotes thyroid function
- Promotes a healthy heart
- Boosts your immune system
- Promotes healthy brain function (there is research that coconut oil helps reverse, yes, reverse, dementia and Alzheimer’s.)
- Promotes oral health and overall health (One key way is through oil pulling. This is a great way to detox!)
What is Oil Pulling?
My teeth started throwing me for a loop when I was pregnant with my 3rd baby. I felt like plague was building up and discoloring my teeth near my salivation glands, so I was looking into natural ways for whitening your teeth. But I stumbled onto something much bigger and more beneficial than I first thought! Oil Pulling! This was first done with sesame seed oil, but there are a number of reasons to believe even more benefits can be had by using Coconut Oil instead. I felt the claims were hard to believe at first. I started looking into it more and went to a few sources I trust. I was stunned at the health benefit claims, which is backed by research that oil pulling can provide! I am always looking for methods of detoxing that I can do on a daily basis. Oral health benefits seemed very believable, so I thought I would give it a try! Also, the health of your mouth is a mirror to the health of your internal organs. Keep that in mind before you disregard oil pulling!
I frequently hear comments about ‘Why do I need to detox?’. Well, to put it simply, you are burdened with toxins (worse than when your mother was a child) EVERY DAY!. Stop worrying about toxins and do something about it!
To oil pull, simply put 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in your mouth. I almost chew on it to get it to melt and then just casually swish it in your mouth. Now, this isn’t an aggressive swish just casual (in a relaxed manner). At first, I struggled with it, wanting to eat the oil when it melted because I love the taste, but I lessened the amount of oil slightly until I got the hang of it. You swish it around for about 20 minutes for maximum results, but even 5 minutes is better than not doing this at all. Then spit the oil out in the trash can (NOT IN THE SINK! Your plumbing will be mad at you!). Then rinse your mouth out and either brush your teeth (with non-fluoride toothpaste) or go about your day. The ideal time to oil pull is in the morning before you eat anything.
“Pulling with coconut oil actually gives me an energy burst, so if you are cutting back on coffee, this can help!”
5 Steps to Oil Pulling:
- Put 1-2 Tbsp of coconut oil in your mouth (Best time to do this is in the morning, but don’t not do it because the morning does not work for you. – ‘don’t not’ that’s a fun double negative).
- ‘Chew’ on the oil until it melts.
- Gently swish it around your mouth for 5-20 minutes (not aggressively, this is a relaxing yet effective activity).
- Spit it out in the garbage (do NOT swallow it because there are toxins in it and don’t spit it in the drain! It will solidify in your plumbing, so don’t do that.)
- Rinse your mouth with clean water or brush your teeth with non-fluoride toothpaste. (Young Living has an awesome Thieves toothpaste!)
What Do I Do to Achieve Optimal Benefits with Coconut Oil?
- The Coconut Oil I use is ALWAYS organic, unrefined, cold-pressed, non-GMO, and extra virgin.
- Coconut Oil is the ONLY oil I cook with.
- Coconut Oil is my ONLY moisturizer and I use it daily.
- I do oil pulling with Coconut Oil once per day in the morning for 20 minutes.
- I simply eat 2-3 tablespoons of Coconut Oil every day because it is an amazing healthy fat that does NOT make you fat.
If you want to kick your detoxing up a notch with oil pulling, put a drop of Young Living Peppermint Oil in your mouth with the Coconut Oil. Peppermint oil is great for focus, alertness, and allergy relief and it is just plain refreshing! If you want more information on why I choose Young Living, click here to be directed toward my blog post solely on essential oils.
So, again, I am not a doctor, but during my research, I read a few books on this and I always practice what I preach. This was my favorite book, Coconut Oil Miracle. I thought it was an interesting read if you want to learn more!
Your choices do make a difference in your health!